Hello all and welcome to the monthly newsletter. Last month was missed, this is largely due to the AMC being a little quieter over the midwinter, with less trips, less opportunity for outdoor activities and everyone largely indoor climbing. However as the year speeds ahead and the days get longer there will be lots to mention and I hope to see the newsletters to be more frequent.
What have we been up to?
Max Coney led a fab trip up to North Wales, you can read the trip report on the homepage for all the details.
KALYMNOS KALYMNOS KALYMNOS!
AMC KALYMNOS TRIP 2023
The AMC are running their annual sunny sport climbing retreat to the idyllic island of Kalymnos. This year the dates for the trip are the 6th – 16th of October 2023.
Climbing in Kalymnos is fantastic. Thousands of bolted sport routes of all grades. A range of accessible crags and styles, really something for everyone. Last year it was a very pleasant temperature of early to mid 20’s and whilst a bit hot on the multi pitch routes at times!!, a great climbing temperature. Much swimming was done in the sea as well as chilling and beer drinking.
Kalymnos also has some amazing walking and canoeing on days off etc (if you have a day off that is…)
What experience do I need? If you are coming to climb you need to be a competent belayer and depending on who you are climbing with, belay with an assisted breaking device such as a clickup or GriGri. Knowing how to strip a sport route is an important skill to have.
To secure your spot on the trip and ensure the best prices on flights be sure to book on this trip ASAP. Further details about flights and accomodation can be found on the forums where there is a thread for the trip.
Upcoming 2023 Trips.
Simon Perret, our trips coordinator is continuing to ensure trips are advertised well in advance and ensuring that they all run smoothly. However, these trips rely on someone to volunteer as a trip organiser, the role is minimal and will be clearly briefed by Simon or another member of the committee. Many trips already have organisers, but others do not, if you fancy running or being part of a trip please let Simon know and he can send you over the details you’ll need.
Below is a list of trips and day meets happening in the coming months. Further details can be found on the club forum.
Trips happening in the next 3 months.
- Scotland (hut) – 4th March – 11th March (Organiser – Anne Silber) – This is a classic AMC trip and not one to be missed. Currently still has a small number of spaces left. Heading up to the Scottish Highlands for a winter trip. Teams will be hoping to get on winter walks, climbs and general winter mountaineering activities. Please note you must have adequate winter experience to take part in the trip. Please contact Anne for any further questions.
- Portland (hut) – 17th – 19th March. (Organiser – Jake Griffiths)
A trip to the sunny Isle and sport climbing climbing paradise of Portland. A great location for sport climbing on portland or perhaps even some sea cliff trad in Swanage. What’s not to love about this trip? A warm hut for the evenings will be a great benefit. But hey its always good weather over in Portland?
- Scotland CIC Hut – 28th March – 1st April (Organiser – Jamie Evans) – A soon to be classic trip. Involving an overnight drive and 4 days on the North Face of the Ben, smashing out winter routes and classic ice climbs in the best time of the season! This trip is currently fully booked but don’t hesitate to contact Jamie to get on first reserve! This trip generally requires people with prior winter experience. People should be confident at climbing a minimum of grade III/IV Scottish winter.
- Fontainebleau – 6th April – 11th April (Organiser – Matt Langely)
The Club is again heading back to the mecca and home of bouldering that is Fontainebleau. A great trip for either relaxed bouldering in the woods or trying the hardest sends of the season. The trip has also strategically been placed in the easter holidays to allow for families to easily attend the trip. Further details can be found on the forums or contact Matt Langely directly for any further queries.
- Pembroke – 7th – 10th April (Simon Perret)
Easter means Pembroke! Generally with good settled weather and with lots of areas accessible due to bans lifting, April is a great time to visit Pembroke. The accommodation choice is camping on this trip. A trad destination that offers for all abilities and grades. Whether you’re sending Vdiffs or headpointing Muy Caliente, there’s something for every trad climber at Pembroke. Get in touch with Simon for further details.
- Peak District – 21st – 23rd April
A great trip for all types of climbers and walkers alike. This weekend can be filled with classic trad on grit, bouldering or even some Peak Limestone sport. This trip we have a hut booked out and the trip is being organised by Luke Parker. Further details should soon be up on the Forums. Any further queries get in touch with Luke or Simon.
AMC New members meets
Club is holding two sessions of new members meets on 28th of February and 28th of March. New members get yourselves down to Repoint on these dates.
Further Information can be found on the forums. Any questions. Don’t hesitate to ask!
Jonathan Conville Mountaineering Trust – Applications are now open for the 2023 Jonathan Conville Memorial Trust alpine mountaineering courses for 18 to 30 year olds, with 50% of the course cost met by Trust.
Three-day JCMT Alpine Mountaineering Courses will be delivered in Chamonix during June and July. The course fee of £180 covers all instruction delivered at a 1:3 ratio by a BMG Guide. Not included are campsite fees and any cable car uplift costs that may be incurred during the course. Successful applicants will need to hold rescue insurance which the BMC can provide with our Alpine & Ski policy.
Applications can be made on the JCMT website or via a link on the BMC website.
- 4th of March – Flashpoint BOFF Bristol’s biggest climbing festival is back! A mega day dedicated to climbing hard, partying harder and having a great time with our amazing climbing community. There will be Pizza, Drinks, Climbing Stalls, Trampolining, Prize Raffles and most excitingly; loads of new Comp Boulder Problems to come and compete on! More info at: https://flashpointbristol.com/events/boff-bristol-climbing-festival/
- 2nd of March – Round four of the TCA winter – Our competitions are always designed to provide lots of competitive problems for the elite climbers, but also lots of fun challenges for people who are not so into comps. You can enter and go for gold or just take part for the fun. More info at: https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/tca-life/the-bristol-winter-series-is-back/
- 15th of March – The Permieter by Quentin Lake. The Perimeter was a journey of discovery based on walking 11,000km around the coast of Britain over five years, with a camera and tent. The aim of the project was to create a celebration of Britain’s diverse landscape from the fierce granite cliffs by Loch Nevis to the polite beach huts of Suffolk. More info at: https://www.wildernesslectures.com/events/view/b42d354e-278e-11ed-9c49-024225febfc2
AMC Pub meet – 1st of March!
Bring your belay own belay device
We will be bringing along some rope and we can share knowledge about how the wide range of belay devices we all have function and what’s good or not so good. Assisted braking, guide mode or other.
So get yourselves down to the Nova Scotia on Wednesday the 1st of March for drinks, food, catching up and meeting new people.
GWR Bolt fund
The people managing the GWR bolted fund have been working hard at re-equipping routes across the South West, particularly recently at wintours leap. The recent work has massively improved the safety of the crag and ease of lowering off the tops.
The fund relies totally off voluntary work and donations and there I ask if you care about the places you climb at and can spare some small change, please consider donating. Donations can be made by following the link below and via PayPal. No matter how small the donation will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hope you enjoyed the read and look forward to seeing you out and about soon.